PDA

View Full Version : Leader Knots??

Jack_Lives_Here
17-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Heading to do battle with some of those Faust monsters over xmas, so chasing some feedback as to what leader to braid knot is the choice of the gurus.
I've tiied a bimini in the braid (50lb) and then a double uni . They seem to hold under full drag but I'm concerned about the bulkiness of it - big knot banging through the guides each cast :-/. It may just be one of those trade offs. ??? ???

Fin_Addict
17-11-2004, 05:28 PM
I'll show ya Dave after ya get blown away by a big barra ;) Those boating pics you sent on sunday never arrived here mate ??? Ross....PS-Pack in a jumbo sponge...lol

Jack_Lives_Here
18-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Braid burn on thumbs MMMMMMMMM
Will remember to put the party pack of sponges in. ;D

finding_time
18-11-2004, 02:29 PM
tie the braid to the mono leader with a uni knot (ten wraps) then the mono to the braid with blood knot(4-5 wraps) as this is thinner than a uni knot in mono (one less thickness of mono leader in the knot area) this is very strong.
Hope that made sense.
Ps. no need to put a lock on the blood knot it will not slip . Trim the tags very short

Cheech
18-11-2004, 04:46 PM
I have had problems with knot size on my overhead due to the slot in the level wind. Use to use uni knots but just too thick. Recently got some penn pro power braid and the knot they recommend is after tying a bimini, wrap the bimini around the leader 6 - 8 times. Tag end towards the braid. Then fold the tag back through the hole in the binini. Hold all 3 (tag, braid loop, and leader) in the one hand, and with the other hand holding the braid line, pull tight till the leader starts to spiral around the braid. Takes a fair amount of load. Then let go of the braid and pull the knot tight.

First time I did it it worked great. And a much smaller knot. Next couple of times it just unwound as I tightened it. I think I was only pulling on the leader but should have been pulling on the tag as well, because when I did it again, it dug in and locked up well.

Does anyone else use this leader knot? It seems that it is only the direct pull on the tag that is stopping the braid from pulling through. Sounds like it may not be that strong, but then, if it wasn't then I doubt penn would be recommending it.

Thoughts??

Cheech

SeaSaw
18-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Cheech,

I use that knot for tying my leaders to a bimini double. Geoff Wilson calls it a braid leader knot and recommends it. I did have it pull on me once, so I increased the number of wraps to about a dozen and haven't had any trouble since. Another option is to put a small bulb on the tag by carefully melting it with a lighter ... but you need to be very careful to not go near the braid.

Mark

finding_time
19-11-2004, 06:58 AM
cheech
I use that knot also if i'm rigging up at home with plenty of time on my hands as it can be quite time consuming but if i'm in the boat have just been busted up and the fish are chewing the knot i listed earlier is the go.

Jack_Lives_Here
19-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Yep have used the braided leader knot but not really an option when using 80 - 100lb mono, connecting to 50lb braid.

SeaSaw
19-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Why not Jack .... I use it for 50lb braid onto 60lb leader and works great.

Mark

SeaSaw
19-11-2004, 05:26 PM
...... Just read your first post again. Maybe it is something to do with casting, as I am bottom bashing with this rig and dont need to cast the knot through the guides.

Mark

Jeremy
20-11-2004, 03:24 AM
I have been using a double uni know to join my double to the leaded for years and never had a failure, but it is a bulky knot. Just the other day I was shown how to tie a locked albright - double the end of the leader and pass the loop in the double through this loop, wrap around leader 3-4 times towards lure end then 2-3 times back again and back through loop in leader. Very neat and small knot and seems to have good knot strength, but I guess I won't know until I have used it a few times.

Jeremy

megafish71
20-11-2004, 12:26 PM
I have used the locked albright for years, great little knot for leaders. Mainly used this knot for attaching 60lb jinkai to 20lb fireline whilst fishing for barra in the NT. Never had a failure and was never a problem passing through the guides while casting. IMHO the best way to attach a leader for casting is via a wind on leader, if you have the patients these are very simple to make.

Ron

SeaHunt
20-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Ditto Jeremy and Ron.. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

jimbamb
21-11-2004, 06:38 AM
I use the locked albrite described by Jeremy.Quick and Easy to ty even in the dark and never let go yet.Dont have trouble throwing lures with a ABU 5600 and Shimano tiapan.See pics in freshwater section.50lb braid 80lb mono leader,110cm barra

damons33
23-11-2004, 05:17 AM
look at the "slim beauty" on www.pakula.com
its a of fly tippet knot and is perfect-it comes in many names but it is basically a figure eight in the mono with a palomar finish on the braid. i use for casting soft plastics with 4lb fire line to flurocarbon 4kg

mini696
23-11-2004, 09:07 AM
I use the allbrite. But have trouble when using light lines (10lb and under).

Mickk

Jack_Lives_Here
23-11-2004, 01:26 PM
While the weather was crap on the weekend I sat down and made myself about a dozen wind on leaders - thanks fellas. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]