PDA

View Full Version : north stradbroke

sharkbait
01-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Hiya all,

Been at straddie for two days, managed to get in a fish yesterday arvo down the beach. headed for main after hearing that the netters have recently pulled 11 tonne of chopper off flinders in one day. There are heaps of good holes down the beach especially up the northern end and from the causeway south to the pin. Not much tailor water but. we fished all arvo for some nice whiting and bream, got my first snodger bream for the year at 35cm. There were a total of five netcrews (boats) at the pin plus assorted hangers on, at least they are all sporting qld number plates this year.

bugman
02-08-2003, 04:18 AM
Sharky,

The NSW crews are there this year as well they've just joined forced with one of the locals and are pretty much using his gear.

I haven't heard of any good tailor reports coming out of Straddie this winter (rec fishos). I think it has really copped a hammering because the winter mullet run has been down a bit and conditions have prevented the pros for getting into them on occassions when they've been there.

As a result - they fall back on the tailor. It's what they're allowed to do - if only that species was bought out from then Straddie would be an awesome winter fishery.

Bugman

sharkbait
02-08-2003, 05:02 AM
I agree fully, It wasnt until this year that I realised just how well the beach fishes over there. Bring on the tailor netting ban.

thargor
03-08-2003, 07:33 PM
I know its cold but fish at night on the beach at N Straddie. I did and caught 10 fish in 1 hour. Partner caught 4. Same spot more or less.

sharkbait
03-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Thargor - your right it is a good spot to fish at night and we have on the odd occasion but it wasnt necessary this time, we had enough from the arvo session to do a couple of good feeds on the bbq. By the looks of your earlier reports you've had some luck fishing the beach at night. When I was living on the island we used to sleep in the back of the ute down the pin some friday nights and fish the early evening and morning, great fun and i'm sure it will be done again, too cold for me at the moment though! Work commitments mean I could be getting some more Island time soon but!

Doctor_Bait
04-08-2003, 04:59 AM
Gees 11 tonne of tailor. No wonder I can never catch anything above chopper size.
Think I'll have to get one of those "Stop netting Tailor" stickers for the car.

bugman
05-08-2003, 04:50 AM
Doc,

Going back a couple of years - (2-3) - I was there for a purple patch of Tailor for the pros. Three crews taking three shots a day averaging 3 tonne a shot - you work out the maths.

It happened over a three day spread

I think it's time to buy out this fish as a target species - but that may come at a price - fishing license ? - extra cost to beach fish ? - another QLD levy perhaps ? who knows but it will eventually come if we keep pushing.

Bugman

sharkbait
05-08-2003, 05:05 PM
How about increasing the beach permit by a small margin for all four, straddie, moreton, bribie and fraser?
As it stands it is $52 for the year at straddie, half if you are local, not much at all. I would definitely also support a licence if we could see where the money is being spent - like the freshwater ones for restocking.