PDA

View Full Version : Bass, Bridges and Bream

SteveCan
14-08-2003, 03:07 AM
I met up with Ausfisher Spike last night at Robina lake. I have been keen to get some lessons on using soft plastics and Spike fishes them a lot (and well!). I didn't think I was going to need any lessons when I hooked up first cast - but then lost the fish :-/ Spike then showed the way with two really nice Bass around the 35cm mark. I could only look on in envy as I got no more takes.

We then went to one of the Bridges near Bond Uni where I managed a baby flathead, then Spike scored a good bream around the 33cm mark. I got a heap of bites but didn't manage to get a hookup :-[ We saw stingrays, Rats :o and lot's of bream in the water, but they weren't really on the chew. I imagine they are very spooky there because the spot gets fished a lot.

I reckon the reason I didn't get a fish was because I scared them away, shouting questions all night to Spike about methods and techniques :P I really enjoyed the input and although a lot went over my head, a fair bit tipped in too and I reckon as I get more experienced things are going to make more sense as I go along. A big thanks to Spike for sharing knowledge picked up through long hours of practice. It really is an exciting and yet simple way to fish. #

I did get the biggest hookup of the night though, standing on a pylon trying to cast under a bridge, my cast went high and a bit over the bridge, just as a car went past I heard a click. I looked down to see my 6Lb fireline dissapearing like smoke from my reel! :P I snapped the bail over but I must have had the drag set too high and the bugger broke me off before I had a chance to get into the fight! ;) hehe.

We went home after that, but once again - Thanks for the invite Spike mate - you will be seeing me out there again soon. ;D

Cheers
Steve .

- one of Spikes two Bass - good fighters!

blaze
14-08-2003, 03:52 AM
Would like to see a pic of the one ya hook on the bridge ( musta been a goooooooooooood one)

spike2
14-08-2003, 01:58 PM
steve it was a pleasure to have you along and your welcome anytime ,although bring a heavier leader if you want to stop a car
ps scored a nice bass tonight near the q store it would have gone over 40 cm and was in a very agressive mood
cheers spike

mackmauler
14-08-2003, 04:45 PM
spike good to see your still dongn em, do u have any trouble holding them like that, looks a bit risky, yeah steve, now you know what a wahoo runs like ;D cheers

spike2
14-08-2003, 04:53 PM
hi mack holding bass and flathead like the above photo is how l got my nick name spike , yes it still hurts but the fish swim away in good condition and the pain and blood eventually stop

cheers spike

Ryan19
15-08-2003, 12:06 PM
Steve,

Check your PM.

Ryan

SteveCan
16-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Ryan,

Checked my PM - nuthin there?

Care to try again?

Cheers
Steve

Ryan19
18-08-2003, 07:48 AM
SteveCan,

I sent a pm to Spike. Sorry about the confusion. I didn't notice that your name was Steve too.

Ryan

SteveCan
18-08-2003, 08:28 AM
:P :-[
Steve

jaffa
18-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Was driving over a bridge near Bond Uni the other night when my car veered across the road and attacked a plastic lure dancing across the road. After a short fight we managed to break free and continue on our way. Its testament indeed to the allround effectiveness of plastic lures.