PDA

View Full Version : Pine River 27/03 New species

Freeeedom
27-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Launched at Deep Water Bend to see if there were any prawns in the Pine. Checked out all the usual places between the freeway bridges right up to Lawnton for one prawn. Ran over into Nundah Creek to try to get enough prawns for a bit of live baiting. Only managed about 30 or so prawns, mostly greasies with a bout half a dozen bananas. Drifted the banks below Dohle's Rocks for a few summer whiting and a couple of stingrays (for some excitement). Anchored up near a creek run-out to use up the last of the livies. One of the rods begins to bend and I think "Another stingray!" As I grab the rod something jumps out of the water off to my right. I don't pay much attention until, as I take up the slack on the rod my line curves faster and faster to the right. I come up hard on the fish and it immediately takes off hard and deep, a bit like a rays first run when it feels the hook. Then I see the line coming up towards the surface at a great rate and suddenly a brilliant silver bar of a fish goes 3 metres straight up into the air! It smashes back into the water and takes off like an express train. Meanwhile I'm holding the little spin outfit, drag screaming all the time, and stumbling around the boat passing the rod around the canopy and out the front hatch. The fish (luckily) goes under the anchor rope and I pass the rod around the other side of the canopy as the fish completes a circuit of the boat. The fight goes on for another five minutes before I can net the fish. When it comes aboard I'm looking at my first giant herring. Estimated length about 75cm, estimated weight about 2kg. A couple of quick pics and the fish is released. After the fight he gave me he deserved another chance. (they're supposed to be full of fine bones anyway). Nice morning, although not much to show for it, but who cares.
Cheers #Freeeedom

Fishin_Dan
27-03-2006, 03:30 PM
There seems to be a few different species popping up at the moment! I went and had some fun chasing Tarpon the other day, caught a Diamond Trevally at Mud, and you've scored a Giant Herring. Not too shabby at all.... :)

Maybe they've all been blown south by Larry ::)

Canoedle
27-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Nice one, those Giant herring go hard, not worth keeping tho, as you say, lots of little bones.

Jack_Hunter
27-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Thats a nice giant herring. My old man got one off the beach at fraser once that went 6 kg. On tailor gear, it took him a bloody long time to get it in

Great work mate, always good to get a new species

uripper
27-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Nice one, those Giant herring go hard, not worth keeping tho, as you say, lots of little bones.

Kingtin Kevs pickled mullett recipe may be the go :o

lowey
27-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Very nice giant herring Freedom congrats mate.

Last time I was on the Pine I had 2 live (legal) whiting floaters out

the back while I was flicking lures on the drift ,suddenly both rods

gave a twitch , when I pulled them in both rigs had been attacked

leaving just the heads of the whiting. ;D

I reckon there are some creatures in the Pine at times .

Great pic as well.

Lowey

White_Steenbras
28-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Nice one mate,

I haven't fished the pine yet, but I caught a couple of threadfin down Schulz canal recently, got pics on my faithfull mobile, just got to workout how to post them. Would love to hear the screaming run of a GH, well done!

Where does the Pine flow out, what suburb? Is there landbased options availible, advice appreciated???

Cheers Barneszzz

land_based
28-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey freedom. Nice herring mate. Were you out the front of bald hills creek or that tiny one with two outlets just down from dohlies? This is presuming you were still down near dohles or else you couldve have been in a thousand creeks.

Slient
28-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Nice one mate,

I haven't fished the pine yet, but I caught a couple of threadfin down Schulz canal recently, got pics on my faithfull mobile, just got to workout how to post them. Would love to hear the screaming run of a GH, well done!

Where does the Pine flow out, what suburb? Is there landbased options availible, advice appreciated???

Cheers Barneszzz

Hi White_Steenbras

Here map give you idea where to get there...
Drive on Sandgate rd toward to Redcliff till you see the light before Houngton bridge and turn left and follow small track to the park.
Then start enjoy yourself with SP...plently flattie, whiting & breams out there

Cheers
silent

Slient
28-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey Freeeedom,
Nice gaint herring... 8-)
I used live in N.Q. we called them milky herring
Byway good report ;)

Cheers
Silent

TIM-DONSELAAR
28-03-2006, 01:25 PM
nice Giant Herring Freeeedom....Well Done #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cheers tim #:D

Fixation
28-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Sounds like a pretty good fighter. Wish there was more of them about. Be good sport. Good work. ;)

Nick_Currey
28-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Nice Herring.

Great Mackerel bait. Use a deboner - remove backbone and rig with 2 10/0's or 12/0's. Chin rig sinker underneath and slow troll. If there is a big mack around they love them.

NC

Freeeedom
28-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Hey freedom. Nice herring mate. Were you out the front of bald hills creek or that tiny one with two outlets just down from dohlies? This is presuming you were still down near dohles or else you couldve have been in a thousand creeks.

Hi ROb

Caught him in the outflow from the creek (circled) below Dohle's rocks, where it flows around the big sand bank on the corner of the mangroves.
Cheers Freeeedom

devocean
29-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Awesome spanish mack bait

bidkev
30-03-2006, 09:10 AM

Nice report Freeeedom. Last time I was in the Pine I caught a giant herring and don't they go off? ;D The line zipped acrooss the surface and I thought at first that it was a Trevor.

uripper is on the button. Grant's says that they are no good to eat due to the milky fleshh and bones but I pickled mine and it tasted better than the mullet. The bones dissolve within 3 days......you can still see 'em but can't feel 'em as they are that soft. Give it a go with any fish I reckon. If you have a sharp tongue and like pickled onions then there's nothing to be lost by trying.

kev

Those who drink to drown their sorrows should be taught that sorrows know how to swim.

bidkev
30-03-2006, 09:13 AM

Nice report Freeeedom. Last time I was in the Pine I caught a giant herring and don't they go off? ;D The line zipped acrooss the surface and I thought at first that it was a Trevor. Caught it at the junction of North and South Pine.

uripper is on the button. Grant's says that they are no good to eat due to the milky flehh and bones but I pickled mine and it tasted better than the mullet. The bones dissolve within 3 days......you can still see 'em but can't feel 'em as they are that soft. Give it a go with any fish I reckon. If you have a sharp tongue and like pickled onions then there's nothing to be lost by trying.

kev

Those who drink to drown their sorrows should be taught that sorrows know how to swim.

bidkev
30-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Sorry about the double post.....I'm just a post whore aiming for the 3000 ;D

This is the end result. The herring looks like the dog sneezed on it, but it's only an aspic type substance which is quite tasty. It's somewhat similar to jellied eels.

kev

Those who race through life finish first.