PDA

View Full Version : Prawns on the go-Pine River

pegasus
05-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Down to Deep water bend this morning (lower part of the tide)with a mate to chase a prawn or two.We re no girus on the prawn scene but thought we 'd give em a try.

Launched the boat and travelled 25 metres to start catching them- between the pontoon and decking-lot of guys just casting from the pontoon seemed to be doing well. Some cast yielded 20 -25 prawns-most good size. Did my cast net on a snag- ripped the whole lead line off- not having much luck with cast nets -lost one last month :(.

Have to do some shopping at the boat show.

We also picked up a few at the gravel pit and some up Castle Hill way with the remaining cast net. I suppose we ended up with about 10litres between us.

Good day. No crabs in the pots.

Just_chips
05-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah mate there is a very nasty snag near the pontoon at DWB, many a net has been surrendered to that one including a couple of mine. It is near impossible to retrieve a snagged net when you are land based as you have to pull back over the snag to get it back, but if you're in a boat then you should try motoring in circles around the snag with some tension on your rope and sometimes you can pop your net of the offending snag without too much damage.

P.S. At the tinnie and tackle show sundown marine have a 10ft top pocket net for $69 (I saw this advertised in B&B this month)

Cheers Kev

MrWong
05-04-2006, 08:22 PM
:D
Lewis my man....... I will catch you another bucket tommorow...
Have fun at bribie and bring me back a motor cover hehe
Me and Marley are gunna go catch tommorow!
Drop by on ya way home!
Norm ;)

pegasus
06-04-2006, 07:06 AM
Hi

Kev,

Yes I saw another chap put that net retrival method into practice - he even had a small grapling hook which he fed down to get around the wieght line- seemed to work well.

Thankyou for the tip and the heads up on the cast net special.

Norm,

Rodger on that-see ya a pm

lew

MrWong
06-04-2006, 06:26 PM
:D
I DIDNT QUITE MAKE THE BUCKET BUT IF 3/4'S OF A BUCKET OF PRAWNS IS OK - I AM HAPPY :)

YEP I AM HAPPY
PRAWNS FOR MR WONGS SPECIAL FREID RICE TONIGHT:)

White_Steenbras
06-04-2006, 10:24 PM
mmmmmm mr wongs fried rice sounds tasty, I'll provide the squid for starters..... ;D

land_based
07-04-2006, 11:08 AM
The offending snag down there is an old diesel engine. A couple of seasons ago the local netters had enough of it. Before i got down there one arvo they jagged onto it, then tied a huge snatch-it strap from the pontoon to the carpark to there landcruiser then tried to drag it up. It gave a bit the one of the ropes just snapped. It just one of those things that is always going to be there. Mind you back in my rookie days i lost a net to it aswell. I couldnt figure out why no one was casting in that spot :-[

Az
07-04-2006, 03:17 PM
what sort've prawns did you get? or was it a mixed bag?

pegasus
07-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi Az,

I am told by my mate they re banana prawns- with only just a few small greasies thrown in-

regards
lew