PDA

View Full Version : Bay Snapper on Plastics

graeme
03-04-2006, 09:36 AM
OK, I see that Touchy has beaten me to the punch...but I have the piccies to prove what he says! As you can see his smile is as wide as the Snapper.

All I can say is a huge thankyou to Fred for an amazing day on the Bay. I am truly converted to the ways of soft plastics now, very very effective fish catchers in the right hands (not mine :-[). Fred at least did not mention that I managed to embarass myself by losing two absolute rippers as well, had to the let the old fella show me how to do it right.

The fight Fred had on the largest Snapper was truly amazing, it swam incredibly fast and Fred really showed his class by dictating his terms to it....really put a severe bend in the rod and tested the tackle to its limits.

A wide range of plastics worked, I cannot get past using Berkley as they seem to work very well...whereas Fred used a much bigger variety and all took a good share of fish. We stopped counting after putting over 20 squire back between 30 and 34 cm, kept 5 keepers (37, 37, 39, 58 & 74 cm). Only one undersize sweetie caught and released.

Also need to thank a few other people who have encouraged me to join the "dark side" of soft plastics fishing...Tim "the bream" Morgan and Pete and Col at Mossops (Gabba) for expert advice on tackle etc.

Thats it, I am hooked....bank balance will never be the same again!

Cheers,

Graeme

aquarius
03-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Mate thats quality alright and from the Wello shallows i'm impressed !!!
Its going to be tough now to top that catch..lol
Well done Fred
Cheers Brent ;)

White_Steenbras
03-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Nice snapps mate, oh and nice snappers too! Go the Dark Side... 8-)

skippa
03-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Top work there Fred,

and I bet you only used a cupful of fuel to boot.
So far all I've caught is undersize everything and mr grinner ... # ;D

When I first started with plastics I was lucky enough to get out with a local plastics guru in his boat. As we where heading for home I can still here his words ringing in my ears ...

Geez thats the first time I've been out without bringing home a keeper .. #:-[

Still can't go out with just plastics yet, always gotta have some bait onboard. #;)

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

T1
03-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Top fish guys! Just started finally catching fish on SP's and i must admit, i took bait out on the last 2 trips and never touched it! Won't be taking with me on next trip!

Take Care T1

allniter
03-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Good on ya Fred ,
u can call that one a bay snapper mate ;)
bet that gave the biceps a good workout :)
deserves a green death or two ;D
well done
regards darren

count_baysea
03-04-2006, 07:07 PM
good work mate, my best is 65cm in the shallow end.
He hasnt got 7 flukes out the side of his mouth? I hope thats not the one that has bricked me 7 times, i want another crack at him.
Great work.

LUMOX
03-04-2006, 07:36 PM
well done boys very nice fish

Lager
04-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Congratulations Great catch. That is one of the biggest snapper I have seen from the Wello shallows for a long time. It is great to see finally that someone has been able to extract one of those big pink buggars from the shallow bottom instead of being bricked (I can't seem to get them off the bottom!!)

Nathan

Fisher4life
13-04-2006, 03:20 AM
approximately what weight jig heads do you use??

graeme
13-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi,
We were using 1/12 oz and 1/16 oz jigheads, realy depends upon the weather conditions and depth of water. My basic rule is to find a jighead which does not drop like a stone to the bottom but does get there eventually! Many times the Squire will hit on the drop as they are hanging somewhere midwater.

Cheers,

Graeme

wak69
13-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Well done guys, the best i have caught is 62cm on whole squid,i am new at this will try to get pic if some one can help thanks. wak69