PDA

View Full Version : sp success

LUMOX
10-04-2006, 06:24 PM
fished the new rock wall at the mouth of the brissie early but couldnt pull a scale decided to head over to mud. great decision. pulling up to cast some light sp's when a lrg boil on the surface mtrs away had me grabbing at my 20lbd bait caster and about 2 seconds had a sp landing right on the mark a tuna about a mtr takes my lure as it hits the water and im on!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
we were in 5 mtrs of water, under geared i think and my deckie was a first timer :-/, and my reel was screaming off line way to fast, time to chase ;D after neally going over as the excitment and inexperiance at driving a boat for the first timmer we chaed for about 2mins not going very far from intial hit we drifted in and motored out to deeper water when posible. fight lasted just over an hour and without a net big enough and no gaff was a bit worrid the fish wasnt quite tired enough for us 2 beginers to have a crack at it but was thinking of all sorts of ways of doing it when one last run saw the fish slowly swim away >:( >:( >:( caught most of the fight on film and still makes me want to cry. still great fight and got to see the fish.
9oclock arm aching hands shaking i required my first refreshing beverage and thought what next?
cruised around the s/w cnr and driffted in to as shallow as possible and success a 43 cm flattie, a first for my mate on sps. first time out!!!! >:( second drift just hang up the phone and a double hook up 2 squire 29cm for my mate and 32 cm for me my first on sp ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D slightly happy, need a drink ;) back in to it and it was the same again. did this for about 3hrs and got 11 all different sizes all fat but no keeper. still stoked with the day decide to head home but cant go past the rock wall without a cast and 15mins in wham on my 2 kilo rod a 35cm squire ;D ;D
great day dolphins in the river on the way home, fish for tea feeling of success i love fishing. will try to posts pics.

chief
11-04-2006, 08:53 PM
great posting mate, glad to hear you had sucess on the plastics. Now its full steam ahead, Gee Cant believe you tackled a tuna with a baitcaster.hard way to gain some line when he's heading back at you. I know how you feel after an hour on a fish, got a longtail around the back of mud 13.4 kg on 4 kg spin stick and had a ball. You said you threw a plastic at them. give us a yell on what plastic you used,would like to know? anyway well done.

techman
13-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Excellent work staying hooked up for that long using a baitcaster. I've lost heaps using much bigger gear.

Techman :)

LUMOX
14-04-2006, 08:00 AM
lots of boat moving my mate did a great job for a first timer with me yelling at him to move rods, boat, motor up, down. great fun ;D ;D ;D. keep the drag fairly tight but didnt want to go to hard due to the gear. having drammas posting picks but will keep trying.

LUMOX
15-04-2006, 03:16 PM
think iv got it.

LUMOX
15-04-2006, 03:19 PM
just legal

LUMOX
15-04-2006, 03:21 PM
daves pike

Wyoming
15-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey Lumox - a great fishing tale and a great ending. I know what you mean about needing a drink after each of those very tiring fights.

Tell me about the rod and the reel - an unusual butt on it?? That isn't the baitcaster rig, obviously.
Neil

LUMOX
16-04-2006, 07:08 AM
its a great little rod, had a great day usingt it. its a daiwa heartland-z with a daiwa caprice 1000. great on this size of fish and felt strong. rod butt is very comfy to use single handed and locks against your forearm well. great on bream and bass and now it seems bay squire. cant wait for somthing a bit bigger to grab a lure on this rod as its great fun
whole combo is supper light :)

Fisher4life
16-04-2006, 11:25 AM
what is your line grade that you are using out in the bay.

for SP's i have only been using 4lb braid, as i'v been told that the local snappper are very fussy with the heavier line however, my local tackle store thinks i'm nuts.