PDA

View Full Version : Wello Point Flathead

Canoedle
23-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Took the kayak down to check out some mangroves around Wellington Point this morning. Got there as the sun was coming up, perfect timing considering I had never been there before and it was about an hours drive from home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/NakedGun/WelloPoint006.jpg
paddled out as the water was starting to run out and found heaps of bait fish and prawns getting smashed all over the shop. I found a nice spot and anchored the kayak, served up a pilly and rigged a 4" watermelon gulp. Second cast of the plastic, right up near the mangroves, few jigs, let it lie for a sec and smash! Got my PB flathead from the kayak. 65cms, needless to say it took me some time to get her into the net, and the rod arm was very tired by then, didnt get a very good pic and she doesnt look as big as she was. She went back in to breed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/NakedGun/WelloPoint007.jpg
Had a few big whacks on the pilly, but no solid hook ups. decided to try a bit further along, hooked one little flathead and a small whiting then got busted off on the pilly twice, 20lb trace bitten clean through, hmm, had enough there so paddled out to some sea grass patches and found some action, lots of bites on the plastic, hooked a couple of little cod and another few little flathead, all undersized.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/NakedGun/WelloPoint008.jpg
That was fun, havent seen a estuary cod for a while and they pulled pretty hard for the size of em. Drifted back towards where I got the big flathead earlier and found the lizards in a feeding frenzy, one actually jumped clear out of the water! And I thought they were lazy buggars! When I saw this I dropped the anchor and started to wind in the plastic I had been trolling and Whack! 55cm flathead, in the net after 4 good runs. This was the only fish I kept.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/NakedGun/WelloPoint009.jpg
two more undersized flatties and a small flounder, then a 42cm flathead. Sent back to grow a bit more.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/NakedGun/WelloPoint010.jpg
A very enjoyable morning, one of my best sessions. All fish were caught on SPs and the pillies, well, they were berley I guess. Don't ask where I was please, this is a friends secret spot and it's not mine to share.
Cheers,
Karl.

StevenM
23-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Karl

Great Report
Great Pics

Cheers

Steven

cuzzamundi
23-04-2006, 05:12 PM
gday karl,m

great session mate and awesome pics! the flatties and cod are starting to venture in on the scene again - exact same species we got the other night in the pine. well done mate.

cuzza

chief
23-04-2006, 05:15 PM
You had a great session mate, and what a beautiful morning to catch fish from the kayak. Well done.

Canoedle
23-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys, and chief, any mornings a good morning to catch fish from a kayak :D

Dylan_Rylatt
23-04-2006, 05:48 PM
i got a tip for you mate about not giving away your top spots... dont get any land out line in the background. I recignize the great spot you were and i can tell you your secret is safe as i fish there often. Sounds like a nice day out and top fish!@!@ you got the right idea about fishing that spot the way you do.

DYlan

Canoedle
23-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Geez mate, you're doing well to recognise that spot from that picture, don't think too many people know about this spot, or at least don't go to the trouble of fishing there. might see ya on the water there some time. ;)

Archer
23-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Nice work Karl, Sounds like you had a top day out mate. ;)
Love those Cod that just look so damn cool!

clarkski
23-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Nice report and looked like a great morning to be out on the water.

Clarkski

choppa
23-04-2006, 07:41 PM
karl you must have biceps like ""arnie swarzeanegger"" ya always on the water paddling somewhere ;D ;D ;D,, i'm with dylan mate,, that picture tells a million stories about your secret spot,, its easy,,

lets see,, clue 1,, wellington point,,,clue 2,, 1 hr from home,, clue 3,, picture of sun rising,,,,,,,,, see told ya easy

good lizard though mate,, i got hold of 1 down a ningi crk this morn about the same,, like you its back in there swimming around,,

might venture down your way on tuesday,, gotta check on a mates house whilst he's away touring the countryside,,, might throw a line in 'round dw bend if i get a chance,, haven't been there in ages, so may go and check it out

choppa

TIM-DONSELAAR
23-04-2006, 09:52 PM
nice flatties there Karl...Well Done #[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

congratulations on your PB flathead from the kayak #;)

cheers tim #:D

Maria
23-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Nice fish mate. Top little spot you're fishing there - I'm the one who showed Dylan the spot. Secret's safe though. Don't flog it too hard. ;)

Cheers

Ben

Jay_S
24-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Nice fish mate ;) There nice and healthy looking fish you cought :o
WELL DONE!!!

Jay 8-)

Slient
24-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Sounds combined kayak & fishing is good adventure, lucky no croc or meany shark out there ;D

Well done m8

Cheers

Silent

Canoedle
24-04-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm quite sure there would be a few bullies in there somewhere Silent, but they don't concern me, my kayak is very stable and I have no intention of getting in the water. ;)
Maria, as you can see from my report, I don't keep more fish than I can eat in one good feed. It was a pleasure to release more legal fish than I kept for a change. If ya see a red and yellow kayak down there come and say G'day. ;)

Fishin_Dan
24-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Good work mate :D

You should start following Aquarius & Touchy down there and steal there squire spots!!! ;) ;D HE HE HE (Just kidding guys.... I mean borrow! 8-) )

Canoedle
24-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Would be nice, but I'm happy to stick in close for now. ;)

craftycarp
24-04-2006, 12:27 PM
nice work mate I really need to get myself a kayak!!! :)

count_baysea
24-04-2006, 06:38 PM
hi carl
I know the spot from the pic and i say the tailor are on if your getting busted up, i have caught a few in there early morn late arvo.
great catch mate

Canoedle
24-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Yes m8, I saw a few flying choppers ;) pitty I couldnt get a hook into one, the pillies were getting eaten, and I suspect a few hits from taylor, but the hooks just didnt sink in. maybe next time.