PDA

View Full Version : Mud Island Virgin - Bags Out!

lunatic
19-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi Ausfishers!
Well I am a Mud Island virgin no more. I got up at 0315 this morning and me and my mate headed for the Pinkinba Ramp. After a quick glance at the Brownies Beacon to Beacon we were on our way to Mud and arrived on the Northern end around 0445. Found a nice pinnicle on the sounder where it rapidly went from 9 metres to 5 metres and anchored up.
It was a bit quiet for the first half an hour or so, then it was on!!! Squire after squire coming in to the boat. Welcome to A Grade!!
I got busted off a couple of times by something that felt like a freight train (you could probably hear the swearing from the mainland), I also caught the biggest filthy grinner that I have ever seen. It remained thick and fast for around an hour prior to sunrise, to about an hour after, then it just stopped, which was ok because we ran out of bait. About 0730 we pulled up the anchor and pointed the bow toward home. We were treated to seeing a couple of pods of dolphins on the way back, one in the shipping channel, and one actually in the river! It was good to see as that must mean that the bay and river are pretty healthy.
We ended up with 9 Snapper/ Squire and one tailor. We must have caught around easily thirty between us, but a lot went back. I titled this post "bagged out" as one of us must of!
I just want to say thanks to all the guys that gave me advice about Mud Island.
Cheers,
Lunatic

(picutres following)

lunatic
19-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Me and my mate

lunatic
19-08-2006, 11:06 AM
My Mate with fish

lunatic
19-08-2006, 11:06 AM
The catch

heathrow69
19-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Well done lunatic awesome for a mud island virgin!!!!! :D great pics and keep the posts coming in

Well done 8-)

charleville
19-08-2006, 11:33 AM
What a ripper of an experience!! Well done! :)

Don't expect that every time though. ;D

Like I said in my report from Thursday evening, my sounder was showing heaps of fish at all depths there on Thursday night. What a ripper season!

There are plenty of people who will have a sinking feelingin their stomach when they read your report as a lot of people try long and hard to get any success let alone that sort of Shane Warne maiden effort in new grounds. ;)

Congratulations! :)

It look like the conditions were pretty stunning also... 8-)

chicken
19-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Nice catch

Lone_Wolf1977
19-08-2006, 12:22 PM
I am looking at being deflowered this Sunday with a first trip to Mud. What bait/tackle did you guys have success with?

Cheers
Rob

charleville
19-08-2006, 12:35 PM
What bait/tackle did you guys have success with?

It is hard to go past the humble pilchard at the moment. Squid is good also.

lattic
19-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Well done mate, nice catch there, great pan size.

Muz

Smailesy
19-08-2006, 02:14 PM
great catch good feed

lunatic
19-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Lone wolf: I am looking at being deflowered this Sunday with a first trip to Mud. What bait/tackle did you guys have success with?

Mate, we were using pilchards on ganged hooks, about a metre leader, with a small ball sinker so that it would sink slowly. I couldn't believe how they were smashing them! The larger fish swallowed most of the hooks, just inhaled them!

I can't wait to get out there again. Hmm... what's the weather doing tomorrow??? ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Lunatic

BR65
19-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Great fish there

bballfisho
19-08-2006, 05:48 PM
:o what a fantastic first mud island trip.
great stuff :)

connor

Great_White
19-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Lovely catch Lunatic, sound like you struck it rich ;D ;D ;D

Peter ;)

StevenM
19-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Well done guys

lunatic
19-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys,

I don't think I would have been as successful without all the good advice from my fellow Ausfishers!

I am still on a high from such a great fishing session, so is my mate.

It doesn't get any better than that.

Cheers
Lunatic

T1
19-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah Nice! The hard part is doing it again but you've at least done it once so you know what works!

Take Care T

PS Now i know the Squiries have moved from Wello to Mud in the past week because it has been great at Mud but very poor at Wello!

lunatic
19-08-2006, 08:47 PM
The final destination (for two of them) with a nice marinade and a glass of red.
Yum!

Cheers,
Luantic

lunatic
19-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Close up...

Adamy
19-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Jealous as!!! ;) Next time keep my big fat trap shut ;D Just kidding... congrats and to think we were wasting our time at Wello and St helena :-/ oh well theres always next time I suppose.

Murks
19-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Well done mate, i will post my first trip post in the morning as I dont have my camera with me at the moment. I too will be back :) :) :)
Brett

Got_the_Fever
19-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Well done mate. You have done very well.... What time should we be around to help you eat the rest of your catch?

Kel

solwota
19-08-2006, 11:33 PM
good on you boys, you've discovered the joys of mud!!
cheers
richard

BarraKuda
20-08-2006, 08:33 PM
lunatic,

I was with Lone Wolf today (Sunday 20th) as part of our Mud Deflowering Session. We were using squid and pillies, but i think our problem was we were using pilly pieces, not whole on a gang. We were getting baited by the small stuff. Boated a couple of them but no snapper. Didn't see too many snapper being pulled in at the Car Park at around 0730. We bailed at around 0830. Did things improve? Anyone? Still a magical day out on the water, and slowly learning more about our own back yard. The possibilities are endless!!!!!

Barra

lunatic
20-08-2006, 09:52 PM
G'day Barra,
Yeah, we were using the whole pilly, but we also had a bag of squid which also proved successful. We would put a few squid on the gang so it presented pretty well.
I don't know about technique, time of day, bait, the alignment of the planets, whether we are folders or scrunchers - or whether it was just one of those freak days where everything goes right that contributed to our success. I just know that it was one of the best days fishing I have ever had.
If the weather is kind to us again this weekend I will be heading out again, as I have marked the spot we were at in the GPS. The missus was supposed to head out with us this time around but she pulled up crook. You should have seen her face when we came home with the esky full of fish!
I hope to see some of you guys out there, and if not I will definately lob up at the next meet and greet. I especially want to meet T1, and extract some of his Brisbane River and Mud Island fishing expertise out of him, and find out what he did with that monster fish in his avatar!
Cheers,
Lunatic

T1
20-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi LUNATIC

Love to catch up sometime! As for Mud expertise, man you've caught more fish in one session than i've caught in total at Mud - i'm definitely still learning that ground but have concentrated more on Wello in recent months as it's just so much closer to home, and can be just as productive!

As for the Brissie, no expert, just lucky a few times i guess but maybe we can go and fish your spot at Mud one day and then come back and do a few of my spots in the Brissie? #As u may have read, my gorgeous wife is due any day now so a trip to Mud is out of the question until after bub arrives. #PM your details and we'll stay in touch...

Take Care T

PS The monster was shared with some of my fishing buddies and the head is in my freezer awaiting drying, glossing, some marbles for eyes and mounting in my office... ;)