PDA

View Full Version : GPS maps of Australian rivers

ynotaj
29-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi guys I am still looking for a gps, for a while I was looking at one of the lowrance combo sounder/gps's but have now decided to get a furuno LS4100 sounder and a separate gps. I fish only rivers and estuaries and will not be taking my little 435 hornet out to sea to sink, so I can't see the need for a gps that supports maps unless you can get maps for our rivers lakes and dams. I read somewhere that there is a cd rom that can be loaded into your gps but I'm not sure if it would have rivers.

One gps I was looking at was the furuno gp-32 only because I am getting the furuno sounder so I thought I might get a good deal if I buy them together, the gp-32 is about $560 and doesn't have a lot of features.

So the question is has our rivers etc been mapped and can I get them onto a gps unit and if so which one, if you can't get this feature does anyone have any opinions about the gp-32.

cheers
tony

Spaniard_King
29-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Tony,

Go Have a Look at a garmin 152

cheers

Garry

blaze
30-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi
One of the gps's I have is a machellan Meridian with land mapping, roads, tracks etc. Aussie explore software I believe. It quite clearly shows the river with a fair degree of accuracy for Tassie BUT I tried to use it in south aust to find some rivers on a fishing trip there once and they had no bloody water in them (that may be because sa is so dry)
cheers
blaze

ynotaj
30-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys,

blaze what model are you using, I have been reading that a lot of 4wd and campers use the magellan which seem to have roads and rivers, I found this cd that can be downloaded into a gps, is it what you use?

The DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks CD provides the capability to download highly detailed maps into your mapping capable GPS. These maps include detailed suburban and country streets such as minor sealed and unsealed roads, 4WD tracks and trails throughout the whole of Australia. Rivers and Streams are also detailed.

Do you think that when it says download highly detailed maps into your mapping capable GPS, it means any brand gps can upload these maps, ie magellan, garmin etc.

You really need to do your research on these things, just when you think you find what you want something else comes along, that's why these forums help, you get opinions from a variety of people who use different gear.

thanks for your help
Tony

blaze
31-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi Tony
I believe most of the software is brand specific, like the DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks is for magellan, not 100% on that though.
my magellan is a meridian platuim, its about 3 years old now and goes 24/7 as its in my work bus and is used daily for compass bearings, often take that one in the dingy or intastate while exploring.
cheers
blaze

troopytraveller
31-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Gday Tony, I have a Magellan Explorist 600 with the latest discover Aus topographical mapping which you have to buy loaded on a SD card. The mapping is quite detailed and have used it to navigate on Myall lakes as well as numerous inland dams around NSW. regards Paul

ynotaj
01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys this has really helped, since reading your replies I have been checking out the magellan range as well as the garmin etrex range.

Can the sd card with discover Aus topographical mapping be copied on cd or your computer so that you have a back up copy?

I have been looking at the Magellan XL eXplorist GPS , very nice unit and the thing I like is that it uses 4 x AA batteries not a rechargeable one like the 600, listed on ebay for $640 from Melbourne, no maps though.

I have also looked at the garmin eTrex range Legend Cx - A$499 inc GST and free delivery Bonus 256MB microSD card included with maps loaded tracks4australia from gpsoz, doesn't have the same features as the magellan so not trying to compare them but seems like a good unit for the price.

Anyone got any comments in relation to the two maps, that is discover Aus topographical and tracks4australia.

thanks
tony