PDA

View Full Version : trip up the cape.

fishy_phil
08-08-2004, 04:33 PM
gday everyone
im planning on going up to weipa on the western side of cape york and was wondering if anyone has any recomendations to where we should camp. there will be 4 of us in 2 vehicles.
also can any one tell me how much dirt road there is from cairns and weipa??
cheers
phil

MTpockets
08-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi Phil,
My brother in-law is at this moment on a oz wide trip. He started out from Brisvegas a year ago, got as far as Weipa took a job paying 2k a week installing roofs and hasnt gone any further, earning way too much to leave.
I can try get his mobile number and get some details if you like?
cheers
Les

matty_e
10-08-2004, 05:26 AM
hi phil,
great place. to answer your questions.....there is really only one place you can camp and thats weipa campgrounds.....great spot with good amenities. you can camp around other rivers but i hear the happy locals go on a drinking spree every wednesday or thursday. the campground is definately worth a visit.

and to answer your other question, a $hitload of dirt. we camped at musgrave roadhouse which is approx. 469km from cairns and it is located just outside of lakefield nasho, and a further 373km from musgrave to weipa. dirt road starts at lakeland i think. i long haul but heaps of fun. just watch for the roadtrains ;) :)

bj
10-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Phil,I would have to agree with Matty I would stay at the camp grounds.As Matty said they are good ammenities and a pleasant place to put up tent.I have camped well out of town on my first trip but not worth the worry as there was only my wife and I we decided to stay at the camp grounds in future.

fishy_phil
14-08-2004, 02:20 PM
gday
thanks for the info guys any idean of what the quality would be around april after the wet?? would the roads have been graded by then or would they be washed away and corrugated??
and les that mobile would be a great idea. ill even try and get a job with him if possible! i just wanna get away and that would be great if i had a job that i could go to!!!
cheers
phil