PDA

View Full Version : Problem witn Garmin Plotter - Pease help

devocean
21-09-2011, 07:35 PM
My mates Garmin 172C went mad today- it kept losing satellite signal then it would turn itself off about 3 minutes later. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Moffy
23-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Hi Dan,

No issues with the power supply? - would be the first port of call for me based on those symptoms. Possibly an indication that the battery is on its way out if nothing else looks amiss? (Have had a 172C myself for about 6 years now and it hasn't missed a beat - haven't heard of them having software issues either). If not the battery - any way the internals/power cable/fuse holder have got corroded?

Moffy

devocean
23-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Checked all this but no problems- the guys at Garmin reckon t is stuffed. According to another guys I spoke he said they have had a lot go just recently so good luck with yours

tunaticer
23-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I have heard of a few Garmin 172 or 178's doi9ng the same thing then being replaced soon after. Not 100% sure they were completely buggered though, I suspect the owners lost confidence in the equipment and replaced them anyway.
I would not mind betting it will be something to do with the connector for power or antenna in the back of the unit that lets go, tiny little brass pins those ones.