PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lockable Fuel Cap

TREVELLY
10-08-2011, 07:24 AM
After having the boat tampered with recently I will be draining the fuel later today.

I will add to the boat a fuel cap lock.

I have an idea of how to do a home made lock cover to secure the boat when stored, but wonder is there a commercial one available to add which would work.

My option would be a bit agricultural but I am sure a commercial option would look better.

Cap setup on boat has thread on the outside of pipe to tank and inside cap.

marto78
10-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Could you padlock a cover over the top of the fuel cap?

TREVELLY
10-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Maybe these are the best option.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=156&item=31635&intAbsolutePage=1 (https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=156&item=31635&intAbsolutePage=1)

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=156&item=31668&intAbsolutePage=1&LinkedItem=31635&search123=

I don't want a key mechanism as it will just corrode.

I saw a good one in US but they only talk about sending to US and Canada - but asked the question anyway.

Noelm
10-08-2011, 07:59 AM
there is a couple of sort of 'flaps" that padlock over the cap, and also a few caps that require a special 'tool" to remove them, these are not 100% tamper proof, but will stop someone who just happens to wander by and think they may have some "fun"

TREVELLY
10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Who has the "flap" option Noel?

I do not need total protection just opportunist deterent.

Noelm
10-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I will try to find them for you, the cap has a sort of ridge across it, and a flap fips over this and is then locked down to a little gizmo that a padlock goes through, a small stainless padlock is only about $10, i have one on my console and it has been in the salt and weather for ages now, and still works a treat.

tunaticer
10-08-2011, 06:40 PM
There used to be some screw caps available that were like mag lock nuts needing a special spanner to open them. The top face was a rotating disc above the main assembly where the spanner key would go through to undo the lower main section. It was not a marine specific filler cap but was used on some construction sites.

Dignity
10-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Try a sign outside "Watchdog on premises, retired as he likes fresh meat too much"

Trev, a little grog is all that is needed and these idiots can strike again, the trouble is it can be years apart just as you get complacent. I would also drain the fuel for what it is worth to give me peace, also wondering whether you could claim on your insurance for all these items, depending onyour excess of course.

TREVELLY
10-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Try a sign outside "Watchdog on premises, retired as he likes fresh meat too much"

Trev, a little grog is all that is needed and these idiots can strike again, the trouble is it can be years apart just as you get complacent. I would also drain the fuel for what it is worth to give me peace, also wondering whether you could claim on your insurance for all these items, depending onyour excess of course.

$1000 excess - oh well.

cormorant
10-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Perko used to do a all stainless one. Not sure if they stocked it in Aus but have seen it on imported ski boats. It also had a antisiphon "bar "in the neck so you couldn't stick a hose down it.

As usual it will be cheaper buying from the states

Dignity
11-08-2011, 06:23 AM
$1000 excess - oh well.
bloody hell, I have had my insurance since 1982 and it has stayed at $50 th ewhole time, not changing for any one.

TREVELLY
11-08-2011, 04:23 PM
I hear what you are saying Dignity - I could have no excess if I paid an extra $100 per annum for policy but $570 a year is enough. Last month with boat rego, trailer rego, insurance Karching $$$$ :o

Still have to drain the fuel - not now it is raining.

I opted for one of these fillers from "Whitworths". I saw better one's in US and one guy was willing to post , but it would have been twice the cost of this one and I am only trying to stop the opportunist - it will do.

I am adding to the house motion sensor lighting and security cameras.