PDA

View Full Version : Sarina Beach Help...please

RUSSO
07-05-2010, 09:50 AM
HEY GUYS...

WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOME HELP, AS WE HEVE BOOKED A WEEKS HOLIDAY FROM SARINA BEACH. 7 FULL DAYS OF FISHING....
HAS ANYONE FISHED THESE ISLANDS OFF SARINA BEACH BEFORE. PRUDHOE ISLAND, KNIGHT ISLAND, IRVING ISLAND AND THE VISCOUNT SHOALS ETC...WE ARE TAKING TWO BOATS UP ONE 6.6MTS AND ONE 5.6MTS WE SHOULD GET OUT AND ABOUT OK WITH OUT ANY TROUBLE.
EVERY YEAR WE USUALLY FISH WADDY AT FRAZER ISLAND BUT PUT IN FOR A CHANGE THIS YEAR TO TRY FISHING AREAS FURTHER UP NORTH. WE HAVE GOOD MAPS OF THE AREA BUT TO PIN POINT SOME GOOD FISHING GROUNDS WOULD BE GREAT.

ALSO ISLAND CAMPING, TIDES, MARKS, RIGS OR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE US FROM YOUR TRIPS TO THIS AREA...AS WE DONT WANT TO GO ALL THAT WAY A BIT UNDER PREPAIRED.

THANKS

RUSSO

NQ-FISH
09-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Hey russo
You have picked a great spot to come to some good fishing around some of those areas. I run a charter out of the tug port and fish out wider but know where you will be fishing,so mate if you email me at castandcatchcharters@westnet.com.au i will try and give you a few spots in close.

regards alvan

jameshallam
09-05-2010, 12:53 PM
there a good boat ramp at camp win beach protected by a rocky headland

peterbo3
09-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi Russo,
I lived at Campwin Beach which really is a continuation of Sarina Beach. Two ramps at Sarina Beach. One is exposed to the SE winds. The second has just been upgraded to two lanes & is sheltered from the SE . Watch the tides. The entrance to Sarina Inlet is very shallow on the low tide. Get up on the headland & you will see the channels. Get local advice as things change. Fuel is available at the servo at Sarina Beach. Bait & green zone charts are available in the tackle shop in Sarina on Sarina Beach Rd.
The ramp at Campwin beach is concrete but basic. I lived 50M from this ramp. The channel is marked but there are rocks. Get local knowledge for this ramp as a bigger boat cannot be recovered at the bottom of the tide.
There is plenty of good ground around all the islands. Just be careful on the lee side as a few of them have ledges running right out which are not shown on the charts. Head out really early as the SE turns the run out to the reef into a bumpy trip. Think Moreton Bay chop for 30 miles. A lot of guys stay out on the reef for a couple of nights. The locals or the bait shop will give you some "starter" spots & just sound the areas for structure.
Fish light with a ball right on the hook or gang rigs. 60lb plus leader is a must. Pillies, squid, flesh baits work.
You can camp on Prudhoe from memory but there is no water. Not sure about fires but you would need to take wood. Check with Qld National Parks in Mackay. Only trouble with staying on the islands is that you can get stuck on the beach by the tides. The island beaches are basically crushed coral so footware is handy.

RUSSO
09-05-2010, 10:03 PM
thanks peter

alot of helpful info you have posted

cant wait to get up there and start fishing

cheers russo :cheesy: