PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Information

dnej
14-02-2009, 09:59 AM
When using a planner,( I have the Raymarine freeby),

in conjunction with a chartplotter, that uses a Navionics card, does the planner

information get transferred directly to the Navionics card, via the card writer,

or do you use a standard blank card, in the writer,and then use that card to transfer the information to the chartplotter.

On a big learning curve.
David

John Buoy
14-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Safest measure is to use another blank sd card.;)

Regards Frank

dnej
14-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks Frank.
Does the Navionics card reader cause any troubles, as it is encrypted in some form, to stop un authorised use.
David

John Buoy
14-02-2009, 07:42 PM
The card reader will read all formats of Sd cards
And YES the navionics card is copy protected and trying to copy the files on this card can lead to a serious blow out ;)
When working with the planner it's best to transfer your data to a seperate
sd card and then load the info onto your unit ;)
Also if trying to save waypoints from a previous units memory card they need to be transferred into the correct format to suit your unit.

Regards Frank

SCOTTYGC
15-02-2009, 01:16 AM
dave where did you get a card reader and blank card from ?

are you using a raymarine gps?

i just got a raymarine and have the free planner

just wondered what to do next

cheers
scotty

frankgrimes
15-02-2009, 07:29 AM
dave where did you get a card reader and blank card from ?

are you using a raymarine gps?

i just got a raymarine and have the free planner

just wondered what to do next

cheers
scotty

Blank SD cards can be purchased from most Computer/Electronic/Camera stores (Harvey Norman have them - Inexpensive....from memory $5 for a 1G)

Readers - You can also purchase these from most Computer/Electronic stores...again pretty inexpensive(They can connect to your USB port on your PC)....or most "newish" laptops have sd card readers.

One thing to check is the size of the card your Unit supports....My Lowrance 5300 only supports up to 1Gb cards.

Mick

dnej
15-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Scotty, search game dude, on the net.They are a big supplier,at Springwood.Can buy online.Multiple card reader that read 23 different cards, around $30. Raymarine freeby, has not got much in the way of instructions.Yes I have the 435i unit.

Mick, thanks for the heads up on the card size.
David

dnej
15-02-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.gamedude.com.au/images/omni_23in1.jpgOMNI 23 in 1 Card Reader / Writer All in 1 USB 2.0
Item Code memOM23in1usb20
OMNI 23 in 1 Card Reader / Writer All in 1 USB 2.0
Compliant with CF Card (Type 1 and Type 2), Micro Drive, Secure Digital Card, Multimedia Card, Smart Media Card and Memory Stick Pro. Price $ 25]

pontificator
15-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I believe 2 and 4 gig SD cards are labelled SD HC, and will not read in machines only designed for ordinary SDs.