PDA

View Full Version : another jack trip

eotbmg
01-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Fished last Friday night through the bottom end of the low tide,from 9.00pm until 2.00am, we had mullet strips and tried pillis with their tails cut off, but only landed an estuary cod about 40 cm. Had a tonne of bream bites and pickers but no red terror. Next trip is a livie mission. Fished in the same location as the last trip, will try it once more with the livies, then may venture further up stream to the snags. Where do you guys place your livie hook??? There isnt too much flow so i am thinking in the bottom jaw....
Thanks
Ben

Kendall249
01-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Ben, you would definately do better with livies, not saying that dead baits don't work. In fast flowinf water I would hook the bait through the jaw, generally I place the hook under the dorsal fin just above the lateral line. In fast flowing water they don't seem to last as long as they drown. Try to pin them a lightly as possible, so that they have more movement. Just not to lightly so the hooks get rip out when cast. Experiment where you place the hook, see how it affects hookups. Hope that helps.

Kendall

nipsta
01-10-2008, 08:16 PM
;D
Fished last Friday night through the bottom end of the low tide,from 9.00pm until 2.00am, we had mullet strips and tried pillis with their tails cut off, but only landed an estuary cod about 40 cm. Had a tonne of bream bites and pickers but no red terror. Next trip is a livie mission. Fished in the same location as the last trip, will try it once more with the livies, then may venture further up stream to the snags. Where do you guys place your livie hook??? There isnt too much flow so i am thinking in the bottom jaw....
Thanks
Ben
hey ben i like to hook them in the between the dorcel fin and tail on the mullets and i like to hook biddys and herring in the middle just at the top so they can twitch also if there is a bit of current i like to put a light sinker on free running so it will get them dow abit
did you see i got nath onto his first jew the other night bugger was bigger then the one i got the week before it was a good catch on the little rod i tell ya 73cm good fish

DEANO68
01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
hi ben, i usually do the same as kendall,front of dorsal not to deep,poddy mullet anyway, those little silver biddys are good live but have to do the bottom jaw with them as they die pretty quick if hooked rig through dorsal, but jacks do like them...swam a few liveys around the other arvo for nothing.. . things should fire up soon.....sorry i missed you at mondy ,did spot you chating , but turned round and you lot were leaving,,next time...might see you on the coast......
cheers deano...

DEANO68
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
;D
hey ben i like to hook them in the between the dorcel fin and tail on the mullets and i like to hook biddys and herring in the middle just at the top so they can twitch also if there is a bit of current i like to put a light sinker on free running so it will get them dow abit
did you see i got nath onto his first jew the other night bugger was bigger then the one i got the week before it was a good catch on the little rod i tell ya 73cm good fish

gidday simon, do those biddys die pretty quick for you too..?????yea good jew for nath on the little gear....

nipsta
01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
gidday simon, do those biddys die pretty quick for you too..?????yea good jew for nath on the little gear....

yeah it was good so thats 2 jew in 2 trips so im happy i have been able to get them yeah they dont last as long as mullet but i find a dead bait is sometimes as good as live but i have got them hooked to the top of the body as close as i can get them and so far they lasted ages all bait even the old herring im still hoping to lure a jack out of his hole but they have been abiot shy so far maybe this weekend if i can get a leave pass

tunaticer
01-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Try a finer guage high tensile hook through the anal fin on a biddy, tends to keep them swimming towards the surface and they last longer. I used to use suicide patterns for biddies but now would opt for circles that are not kirbed.

Fast flow locations i tend to bridle livies for jacks with an elastic band through the eyes, they live quite well that way.

Jack.

peterm
01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I was using a dorsal hook on livies for jacks but after quite a few bite in 1/2 misses I now use 2 hooks either nose & tail or dorsal and tail. If the bait is small I use a small stinger hook in the tail and a larger main hook in the dorsal.

My 52cm Jack was caught on a tiny bit of old servo mullet flesh on a #4 hook - go figure !

Cheers,

Pete

the gecko
02-10-2008, 08:06 AM
I wont go anywhere the lateral line or dorsal with herring. I go thru the jaw and out the nose, or else behind the anal fin. Going thru the jaw makes them swim into the current and gets some water thru their gills, presenting the bait more natrually.

For poddy mullet, Id use a 2 hook rig, one thru the jaw, and one behind the dorsal.

Dont be afraid to cut a small piece off the tail. An injured bait swims erratically, and sends out more panic signals. Trim about 10-20% off the tail fin. Trim the bottom fin if you want it to swim down, or trim the top fin if you want it to swim up off the bottom.

If livies arent getting hits, dont be afraid to butterfly a bait, sometimes this works better than livies. Start at the tail end, and fillet the bait up to the shoulder, but leave the fillet attached at the shoulder. Do the same on the other side, then cut the spine out. Whats left is a head with 2 fillets flapping in the current, and the juices create a burley trail of their own. Works with herring or mullet.

Jacks have been very patchy on the gold coast in the last few weeks, but they are heaps better on the sunny coast, so brissy is still a bit suss. Dont dismay if you dont get em yet. Most guys are getting a jack one out of 4 trips, unless they are regulars at it. Things will pick up soon as the water temp rises a bit.

Andrew

eotbmg
02-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys, plenty to work with there, will be out again Sat nite or maybe sunday nite.

Deano
Yeah mate we were pretty keen to get back into Gin Gin for a beer and not having to drive. How did you end up????

Andrwe,
Once again thanks again, i am not giving up, all the help in great.

Nipsta.
Just read the Jew post mate, congrats to you both, Naths hat is growing i reckon. Seems like you've got the Jewies wired, i am pretty sure you are on the coast, maybe we should hook up for a fish sometime. Have you fished Old Woman?

DEANO68
03-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys, plenty to work with there, will be out again Sat nite or maybe sunday nite.

Deano
Yeah mate we were pretty keen to get back into Gin Gin for a beer and not having to drive. How did you end up????

Andrwe,

Nipsta.
Just read the Jew post mate, congrats to you both, Naths hat is growing i reckon. Seems like you've got the Jewies wired, i am pretty sure you are on the coast, maybe we should hook up for a fish sometime. Have you fished Old Woman?

no fish at mondy this time ben,,doing a quick trip early nov ,hopefully my luck will change...deano.

nipsta
03-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Deano

Andrwe,

Nipsta.

yeah i have fished old woman island on occasion but not latey i havent been able to go out the front due to my back issue but thats when its fully recovered i will the bounce and banging of the boat going over the swell doesnt do it so good .
im going out saturday night again and i think i will if im up too it have a crack sunday afternoon and night too get a fish in before the injection in the spine monday i got a gut feeling with this temp rise that the jacks might play the game and the turn of the tides is at a really got time too if i got no good at one of my jack spot this saturday night i will go back to the jew spot and try again sunday when the river will be quieter due to the nrl grand final