PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Estuary - Where have the fish gone

ryeham
04-09-2008, 08:12 PM
New to Ausfish so I'll try and keep it short and sweet. Been to Deeral twice and around Trinity Inlet today and caught 6 parts of bugger-all. Mostly been using soft plastics (minnows and shads) and dead bait. Today was my best day around the Inlet with some small grunter and bream (undersize) that had to be thrown back. Am keen on hearing from anyone who has been fishing the Inlet or Russell/Mulgrave to see if they have had any better luck.....please please tell me you have b/c Cairns can't be this bad. Cheers.

Walker
10-09-2008, 09:39 AM
New to Ausfish so I'll try and keep it short and sweet. Been to Deeral twice and around Trinity Inlet today and caught 6 parts of bugger-all. Mostly been using soft plastics (minnows and shads) and dead bait. Today was my best day around the Inlet with some small grunter and bream (undersize) that had to be thrown back. Am keen on hearing from anyone who has been fishing the Inlet or Russell/Mulgrave to see if they have had any better luck.....please please tell me you have b/c Cairns can't be this bad. Cheers.
Ryeham,

I thought the same thing earlier this year too and only a few months ahead of you on this website. I've been here for just over 18mths now... I have fished the trinity and caught a few Salmon and plenty of Yellow Tail Bream etc... (Check my posts for pics). also 8wks ago on consecutive days I caught a 60cm flathead on a mullet strip and a 68cm Diamond Scale Mullet in my 10ft Cast Net (no pics unfortunately) near the Police / Customs wharfs. Also just last week I pulled a 40cm Jack and 26cm Bream out of Thomatis Creek on mullet strips (Pics to come). It all sounds good but I have been fishing and caught alot of nothing between these outings also but they are there, just keep persisting mate.

Paul

ryeham
30-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Cheers.....unfortunately I've been in NSW the last couple of weeks ie 8 weeks so sorry for the late reply.....am changing focus and thinking of heading out to the first couple of leads past the marina.....have you had any luck there???