PDA

View Full Version : Finns Braid Failure

Meherio
05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Went out today lost 300yards of Finns 30lb braid in two foul swoops. The braid is only about six weeks so I think four trips old. First 150+ yards got bottom gave it a bit to get it back and bang breaks at water level. Hadn't touched boat, nothing just snapo, I though thats no good but I can deal with that next couple of drops and i into the mono backing hookup to a fish maybe a just leagl snapper. I had probably 20 odd meters of mono in the drink plus my leader of about 5 meters so a crap load of strech. Bang, i thought must have snapped/ knot failure at backing to braid join, but no, about three meters below join mid braid.

Crapped off with that tied a quick loop in the rest of the braid and put on the reel handle, wound up just to get it tight and snap.

Has this happened to anyone latety, I will try and get on to finns to see if i can get it checked out. (I keep the last couple of meters)

Might have to switch back to the Harro Braid.

Horse
05-06-2008, 09:04 PM
My Fins has all been good. Fireline seems to be the most variable one. Take it back and let us know how you go

Mangfish
05-06-2008, 09:35 PM
i've tried stacks of diferent braids and have found there can be a week spool in amongst

banshee
05-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Check you haven't got a crook runner/tip that's damaging the braid.

NAGG
06-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Check you haven't got a crook runner/tip that's damaging the braid.

I was thinking the same thing ....... very unusual for a quality braid to pop that easily!

Nagg

Little grey men
06-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Sure sounds like a fault somewhere. I've always found this braid to be very dependable. I'd be taking that spool back quick smart.

ant_72
06-06-2008, 02:36 PM
agree with the boys, there could be a fault with a runner but if not take it back and see whether the store is prepared to talk to their supplier. Please let me know how you go

Meherio
06-06-2008, 02:56 PM
All runners looked OK, I have emailed the Aussie supplier just waiting for a response.
I won't take it back, as I bought it from BCF under duress. The day I needed it, my local tackle store didn't have any in stock. So if I took it back to BCF I would have talk to some 22 year old bird, that would struggle with the idea of what a lb was. (Perhaps, maybe they would be right across it, but I'll save my blood preasure and hope the supplier comes up with the goods).

Steve B
06-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Seems strange that it has happened on the 4th or 5th trip, I would think it would happen on the first if it was a dud batch.., hence I am wondering if its the runners or the tip.....even the smallest blemmish will cause problems...mabey it took 4 trips to cause enough damage to break. Have you been using the same rod for all trips??? what about the reel ie rollers/levelwind ect are they damaged in any way?? Strange for FINNS to do that...keep us posted..

lampuki
06-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Finns is a good braid......cant count the number of spools of the stuff i have bought.....There was a 10 mtr section that was stuffed in a 500 yrd 50 lbs spool I bought a while back.....