PDA

View Full Version : Need a cheap game reel

Alex The Angler
02-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi fellas,
I've just bought myself a Penn 3050SU game rod;D to use when we go away to catch some Tuna, Snapper, Kingies etc. and of course I need a reel. I'm only 14 so it can't be very expensive. I've been looking around on eBay and the ##########s seem alright, what do you think of them? Do you have any other reels you can recommend?

Thanks in advance, Alex

BARRAkid
02-05-2008, 06:53 PM
I have a TLD20 2speed for sale check out the rod and reels in the for sale section

cheers BK ;)

bayfisher
02-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Hard to beat a tld if your after cheap and reliable game reel. You can pick the 20 and 30 sizes up for around the 180 last time i checked.

Cheers Chris

Local_Guy
02-05-2008, 09:13 PM
don't buy off ebay..... their prices are teh same as or more expensive than in your local tackle shop... well pricing on a TLD anyway.

but like others have said... go a TLD 20 or 25

Horse
03-05-2008, 06:54 PM
I would not go past a TLD 25
They can land some big fish

Marlin_Mike
03-05-2008, 06:55 PM
i have a ########## xpro 6000. I bought it out of curiosity off ebay. I looks cheapish, feels cheapish, and as yet not game to try it for fear of it failing when hooked onto a good fish. Would probably hold some good fish, but for bigger pelagics etc, no way, i reckon the drag will die very quickly.

Even if it takes a little longer to save some bucks mate, wait, save and buy the TLD or an okuma titus. Worth the wait in the long run.

Mike

nigelr
03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi Alex.
You could get someone to pick a good 2nd hand Diawa Sealine 400 for you off Ebay. You should be able to get an excellent reel fo $100 or less.
The Sealine has an excellent star drag, and is a full metal reel, strong as.
Alternately a 2nd hand Penn Senator 4/0, personally I'd go the Daiwa however, both good reels but the Sealine is stronger.
Cheers.

reidy
05-05-2008, 04:17 PM
i have a ########## xpro 6000. I bought it out of curiosity off ebay. I looks cheapish, feels cheapish, and as yet not game to try it for fear of it failing when hooked onto a good fish. Would probably hold some good fish, but for bigger pelagics etc, no way, i reckon the drag will die very quickly.

Even if it takes a little longer to save some bucks mate, wait, save and buy the TLD or an okuma titus. Worth the wait in the long run.

Mike
Good day Marlin-mike,
Did the same thing.The drag on mine is a jerky as a ---------.Had washers out a quick hone of the steels,a bit off drag grease and hay presto,ITS JUST AS BAD.
Good thing gummies dont pull that hard on 30lb LOL.:)
Cheers
Reidy

Alex The Angler
05-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. As it turns out a very generous forum member has given me one of his reels he no-longer needs. He will remain namless unless he wishes to be named;).