PDA

View Full Version : Fireline Vs True Braid

sporty1
09-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I have been using fireline on my baitcasters for tossing jackalls, sp etc for bass. I would like to try a "true" braided line as a comparison.

What brand and line strength should I consider for a cronarch 100 and Calcutt 50 when tossing or trolling lures in dams for bass?

I don't want to go super light especially with the cost of Jackalls, but I still want ease of casting.

BARRAkid
09-04-2008, 10:41 AM
i use bionic on my zillion and it works well

cheers BK

Little grey men
09-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I use 10lb Fins PRT on a chronarch to toss Jackalls, Littlemax, spinnerbaits etc. casts beautifully.

NAGG
09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
If you want a really nice casting True braid ..... Its hard to go past Nitlon or TD Sensor !
After all my experimentation! (fireline , spiderwire , Bionic , TD Sensor , Tufline , Fins , Suffix , Millenium , Superbraid & Nitlon) ...... I've settled on Nitlon for all my baitcast applications! 8-)

Nagg

chief 1
09-04-2008, 08:54 PM
I have heard that castaway braid is good

Tim_08
09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi Nagg what do you particularly like about the Nitlon? I have it on my hrf and will probably spool both my other reels with it on the weekend but I haven't really tried anything else, I've used a mates couple of year old curado spooled with bionic and actually quite liked his combo (flueger 5'6" 5-7kg rod I think)

Tim

NAGG
09-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi Nagg what do you particularly like about the Nitlon? I have it on my hrf and will probably spool both my other reels with it on the weekend but I haven't really tried anything else, I've used a mates couple of year old curado spooled with bionic and actually quite liked his combo (flueger 5'6" 5-7kg rod I think)

Tim

Right now I'm using it on my 2 Zillions & a Steez ...... I just find that it casts beautifully( silky smooth) Knots hold well.... & has great abrasion resistance ,,,,,,,, It just comes off the spool great & not so loud through the guides ( specially recoils)!
Yeh at $55 its pricey ..... but money well spent IMHO8-)

Nagg

the gecko
10-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Im using Suffix braid now, and I wont use Fireline again. I find Suffix is extra thin and supple, and doesnt wear off like Fireline. I wont use fireline again.

Andrew

jayvee
10-04-2008, 04:39 PM
yeah i agree with gecko. fireline is probably the worst i've used. its seems to hold alot of memory (spirals in the line) after casting, especialy anything over 6lb and goes to crud after the waxy coating wares off it. id much prefer the fins or nitlon but also agre that the suffix does seem to be thinner than the fins and nitlon!

sporty1
10-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Guys

tried the Fins PRT 10 lb Braid today on my baitcaster. How long has this been going on? I had been using firelaine for many years and I will never use it on a baitcaster again. The difference was significant. No overruns, backlash or any associated problems except a significant amount of dye rubbed off the line during the day. Well worth the extra expense.

Taipan
10-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I have found the fireline keeps it's memory. I will be romoving it form the one reel I have it on. All my other outfits are spooled with fins, I haven't had a problem with the Fins as of yet.

Scott nthQld
10-04-2008, 08:08 PM
When I first started using fireline, I thought it was great, since then i've tried other brands and Fins PRT is my pick of the bunch, though I haven't tried nitlon yet, I will be changing my fireline out fits over shortly. I do prefer fireline in the smaller sizes (upto 6lb) because of the extra stiffness in the line it is less prone to wind knots IMO.

Rockfish
13-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I would agree with a majority of what has been stated as above. Stay with the true braids/PE's and stay away from gelspun lines on the baitcasters when going above 15lb. I have used a many and varied number of lines the best so far is Nitlon, however, if you can't get this go for Sufix even better would be Bionic.

Cheers