PDA

View Full Version : 4 reports in one

For Steve
01-04-2008, 07:54 PM
G'day Ausfishers

After many months of not wetting a line, I finally got my act together. Things didn't get off to a great start at Easter when we towed the boat around 600km's round trip to Inskip Point and didn't even put it (or a line) in the water. We had to take it anyway to fit all the camping gear in so we had one of the nicest box trailers in the Rainbow Beach area that long weekend. On our return to Brisbane I parked the boat, still packed with all the fishing gear, in the garage rather than unpacking it a pushing it around the side of the house. This is the secret I think as I can have it packed ready to go with the greatest of ease. Only downside is the ute has to get parked out on the driveway - a small price to pay.

So here are my reports:
Tuesday 25 March, 10am to 2pm, Mud Island - 2 squire (45cm) and 1 grassy sweetlip (35cm), about 8 undersize squire and sweetlip

Friday 28 March, 1pm to 3pm , Green Island - all undersize, about 20 squire, 1 flathead, 1 tailor

Saturday 29 March, 10am to 4pm, Mud Island - 4 squire (42-46cm) and 1 grassy sweetlip (34cm), about 10 undersize squire

Tuesday 1 April, Mud Island, 10am to 2pm - 1 squire (42cm), 3 undersize squire and sweetlip

All fish were caught on plastics, and a mix of TT and home-made jigheads. Nothing really spectacular but good fun on light gear and a nice feed. I'm a happy man. Hopefully more regular reports in the future.

Cheers
Brad

wags on the water
01-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the report Brad. Well done on the haul.

Wags

SummerTrance
01-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Sounds like some fun days on the water. Lots of fish landed and a few keepers for a feed. Undersize fish are better then no fish at all. Good effort, well done!

sleepygreg
01-04-2008, 10:41 PM
not a bad strike rate, great to see you getting a feed.

Greg

Scalem
02-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Breaking any size barriers just seems a little harder lately, so any fish is a bonus. But occasionally there are still big hookups that bust you off, leaving you wondering what's going on?

Must be time for you to hire a good deckie Brad, my boat is temporarily out of action. Some might wonder how I can be so subtle??::) Good carma happens in Brads' boat when Scalem is on board!!:P

Good to hear you are still kicking!!

Scalem

Bluefin475
02-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Hey some nice fish there...Jus wondering wat plastics did the damage...

For Steve
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Scalem - you're welcome in my boat anytime. I'll send you a PM and we'll organise a trip.

Bluefin475 - Powerbait 4" minnows in pearl watermelon and Atomic 3" minnows in pumpkinseed seemed to attract the most attention.

Poodroo
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I was just asking the other day about you Brad. I have not seen you posting in ages. Great to know you are still out and about catching fish. Well done.

Poodroo

Scalem
03-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Scalem - you're welcome in my boat anytime. I'll send you a PM and we'll organise a trip.

Bluefin475 - Powerbait 4" minnows in pearl watermelon and Atomic 3" minnows in pumpkinseed seemed to attract the most attention.

Cool Brad,

Have your pm and about to consult my social calendar , will let you know.

Thanks mate!!

Scalem

Bluefin475
03-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I find the 3" pumpkin seeds to be very productive aswell although they tend to lure in the grinners aswell...thanks for that

jarrad.

For Steve
04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Scalem - no worries mate. Just let me know.

Poodroo - good to hear from you. I've rarely fished or posted over the past 12 months or so. Other stuff seemed to keep me busy. Anyway, I'm trying to get back into it now. I've been talking with a mate at work (Keith) who fishes regularly and that's helped get me motivated and to make the time. Love your new rig - she's a beauty. Great for the bay.

Bluefin475 - I agree. You seem to get a far bit of attention from vermin on the pumpkinseed colour - especially in the Gulp. Also tailor or pike seem to knock the tails off any of the paddle tail or curly tail plastics. Goes with the territory I guess. I just try a variety of styles and see what works on the day.

It's the retrieves I really need to work on. I'm sure I've got a lot to learn about how to get the plastic to present nicely to the fish. I think that when I lift my rod tip to give some action, the plastic spins unnaturally as it jerks up before sinking back down. I take great care to put the plastic on staight and correctly but I still see this spinning happening as the lure approaches the boat in shallow, clear water. I thought it may be a jighead thing, but both the good quality TT jigheads and my home-made ones do the same thing. I'll keep trying though.

Cheers
Brad