PDA

View Full Version : all night fishing

Falz87
20-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Just a question, How many of you leave your cars and trailers at the boat ramp when you go for an all nighter?

Dan5
20-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Mate i used to do it all the time but in the last couple of years it seem's that some people have found car park's at boat ramp's easy picking's.Lot's of car's have either been broken into,vandalised,burnt out trailer stolen or something missing.It play's on my mind to much now,if you have a missus who really love's you you should ask her to drop you off and pick you up when your finished (she could even wash the trailer).

It's a shame that some people find destroying/stealing other people's property such an amusing pastime.Security at ramp's is something that has to be addressed unfortuatly some ramp's around Darwin now have lock up's and caretaker's and you pay a small fee for some piece of mind.

Dan.

Tassie JR
20-03-2008, 08:18 PM
We leave our car and trailer at the ramp and havent had any problems yet (fingers crossed). We will be leaving our car and trailer out at rainbow beach boat ramp on sat night and maybe sunday night.

cheers tassie JR

Simmo2
20-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Nup, take it all home or to a safer place.

sandbankmagnet
20-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I think anyone that sees my trailer and car has pity on me and wouldn't bother.

Freeeedom
21-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Used to do it all the time, but after having rollers and even the winch stolen from my trailer on several occasions and my petrol cap jemmied off and the tank siphoned out a couple of times I decided to give it away. I still leave my car out at night when I'm land-based, but not the trailer. Too easy for someone with a shifting spanner to strip the parts off. On one of my earlier trailers I spot welded all the nuts to the bolts, which saved that trailer from vandals until it rusted away
Cheers Freeeedom

PinHead
21-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I leave mine at the ramp overnight..at Caloundra and down at Rudy Maar's for a week at a time..luckily had no problems.

kingtin
21-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Rudy's is the only place that I leave mine.

kev

Xahn1960
21-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Once upon a time yep, but not anymore...... To many morons about with nothing better to do than trash peoples stuff and a police force that is more interested in traffic offences than catching crooks. Better to secure it all, at least you'll have peace of mind.

Bill.

sheridan
21-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Not overnight at public ramp but 2 to 3 nights at a time at Rudy Maas no problem

disorderly
21-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I think anyone that sees my trailer and car has pity on me and wouldn't bother.

I know how you feel,mate.
My trailer is a total disgrace and I reckon if someone was game to steal it they would probably be pulled over for an unroadworthy trailer(rusty as hell,no numberplates or lights....or as I prefer to call it ....theft detterent measureshttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif ).
I mainly go before dawn and come back after dark so I see no coppers.
God help someone that tries to steal it.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

bj
21-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Not only night time either. Had my winch post & winch taken while I was out for only a few hours one Saturday morning. My neighbour had two of his car tyres & the two trailer tyres slashed on another occasion also during day light.

mik01
21-03-2008, 08:34 PM
anyone know the story of the burnt out 4wd ute at Colsmlie, on the driveway? wonder if it was a stolen from outside and dumped there or a fisho's car from the ramp carpark?

Leighton
21-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Have not had a problem so far, i have a work ute to. Locked tool boxes..but they only keep the honest people out.
Does anyone know what the story behind the locked and gated ramp area at Cleveland? How much, who to contact and is it worth it?

frankgrimes
21-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Launched from Loders Creek ramp on the Goldie this arvo, and upon our return there was a poor felow who had also just returned to the ramp to find some pr**k had stolen his car, and left his boat trailer.....this happened in broad daylight, with the Car Park full!! Won't be using that ramp again!

MY-TopEnder
21-03-2008, 10:13 PM
What is Whyte Island like for security?

I know Port Security patrol it, the water police are right next door, and its on the loop for the normal cops to patrol it... but has anyone got any stories from there?

garman1
21-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Anyone had any probs with the redcliffe boatramp, near the vmr building, or the public ramp too for that matter?

CreelReaper
22-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Mik1 that ute was burnt where it stands.....been there for 3 weeks at least. The tree its under suffered from the heat.
At the end of the day guys, it's the same with everything/everywhere....shopping centres are probably the worst. Does it mean that the missus will stop going shopping???? Don't get me wrong, I feel for you guys that have lost out. We have the oldies locking themselves in their homes from being scared. Schools etc putting on extra security.
I have even known a guy whose car was stripped parked right below his bedroom window....woke up to find it on stands, no wheels, bonnet gone and engine removed. A few years back every tyre on every vehicle parked in our street were slashed....something like 23 cars in all.
Its a sad story I know but we shouldn't let others rob us of our much earned loves and passions. I have parked my car/trailer around various ramps around brissie and in 20 years have had no trouble. Things like winch handles can be locked away in the car. Insurance covers some of it but we shouldn't let the riff raff dictate terms to us.

Shane

I know the feeling of hollowness....my car was broken into a few years back and I lost some sentimental items as well as loose change whilst I was parked at work but it doesn't stop me parking.
riff raff are oxygen theives and should be culled!!!!!

BrewGuru
22-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Never had a problem yet, Now days locked in the secure car park of the MBBC- Scarborough. I hope its still their when I get back, I am anchored of Bulwer as we speak, the barge has just come in and I am having a coldie after an an attempt to get some decent fish the last couple of days

warrior1
22-03-2008, 08:13 PM
>:( about 10yrs ago had car & trailer stolen from the ramp at petrie at about 1pm was only gone 1hr:( never had problems anywhere else day or night.

BILLY THE KID
23-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Have not had a problem so far, i have a work ute to. Locked tool boxes..but they only keep the honest people out.
Does anyone know what the story behind the locked and gated ramp area at Cleveland? How much, who to contact and is it worth it?

redlands boat club , waiting list to join and use the compound though ::)

http://www.redlandsboatclub.org.au/joinus.htm

garman1
23-03-2008, 02:17 PM
I have joined the redcliffe vmr, and would like to do an "over nighter" but do have concerns about theft........ at the moment i would be using a borrowed ute, so any damage to it would make me feel worse. Is there anywhere at the redcliffe boatramp to lock the ute/trailer up? even if it cost a bit of money... that would be a good investment for peace of mind.

Gaz

We work 5 days a week to enjoy 2 with the family and fishing... so enjoy them

salmonking
23-03-2008, 04:02 PM
so its not just the uk that has this problem.i came over new years eve,its a huge problem there!

seamaid
23-03-2008, 04:07 PM
>:( Hi
8 years ago at scarbough ramp they taken the rear wheel off the 24ft tandem trailer bloody new rims & tyres & we found all the wheel nuts loose,must have been disturbed prior of getting the lot.
12mths after that at Cabbabe Tree Creek ramp we return to the boat ramp app
2am & finding 2 mungerals at the 4 x 4 tojo never heard us come in,yelled out & they taken off in a green cortina.
Up here at Hervey Bay now we have heard of trailers taken & cars broken into at River Heads, cars broken into at Urangan boat harbour ramp.
Notice police presence alot at boat harbour, i get a smile on my face.
Cheers Ged.
Trailer they tried to strip the wheels

Skusto
24-03-2008, 02:31 PM
dont normally if its over night the ramp down our wat at shorncliffe tends to be a hot spot for thefts lucky we only live about a k down the road.

arni
24-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Rudi's or father-in-law at runaway bay

Chong
24-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I have left cars and trailers over night at:
Manly
Lota
Whyte Is.
Labrador
Beaver Rock
Maroom
Tuan
River Heads
Maryborough
Urangan
Sunny coast
Iluka
Woody heads
Pine river
Caloundra

You get thge idea, never had a problem, touch wood. I think its just unlucky that a few P%$*s stuff it for the few that get damage or loss. I am always vigilant at ramps late at night or early am and keep a good eye out for strange looking fishing type people. If nessassary i will hang around for 15 minutes until they leave or seem to be of good intensions. Best security we have is each other.
Cheers

Rosie M
24-03-2008, 05:37 PM
:) Hello Everyone,
We leave the boat at Rudi Maas, would not dream of leaving the car & trailer anywhere else. You are right Chong, we have each other & we would like to think that all fishing persons have the same viewpoint, look after all, 100% from all equals no gaps, security for all.
Rosie:D

the gecko
26-03-2008, 11:43 AM
No probs on the Gold Coast for me. I regularly use most ramps at night. I stay away from The Grand at Labrador, Loders Ck, Sundale and VMR ramps tho. Commonsense says dont go where drunks are likely to turn up, and dont park at nights on Fri and Sat when hoon levels are highest. Mon, Tues Weds gets no hoons at all.

Tip 1; if your towbar has a hole for a safety chain, then remove the D shackle and replace it with a padlock. my trailer is padlocked to the car.

Tip 2; police say that cars with a remote locking system have a lower rate of theft. Its not impossible, but it is much harder to steal these. The pre 1998 cars with keys locks are much easier to steal. VK/VL commodores have the highest rate of theft in the country for this reason.

Tip 3 ; remove everything visible from the car like loose change and sunglasses. If the car LOOKS empty, then they are more likely to break into the next car instead of yours. Theives dont hang around long, and will target the most likely car to bring them a return.

cheers
Andrew

Eric03
26-03-2008, 03:58 PM
the gecko sums it up nicely.

I've had no problems leaving the car / trailer at Paradise Point... good area with no taverns in close proximity. I also put all valuables in the boot and lock it down (can only be opened by the remote).

Wouldnt touch Loders Ck... very dodgy area, same goes with some of the places on the Nerang River.