PDA

View Full Version : Sight casting flats

richieboy
19-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey boys. Well run off is almost upon us and that means the big fish are on soon.
Decided to drift the flats this morning in the Harbour coming off the neaps and search for a few mundi's.
With less run water clarity was perfect and I soon found em cruising on there sides in about a foot of water. Kept my distance firing off 30m casts on the spin stick. Used small Bozos and dropped the leader right back to 16lb.
Despite the abundance of bait no boofs were heard but I could see a heap of fish just cruising.
First cast pulled hooks but the next few got results with a few feisty Rat Salties boated. Decided to ditch the smaller specimens and search for the bigger boys amongst em. Saw a bigger brute a little deeper and proceeded to cast.
Damn it's good to see em all lit up yellow tails and all turn and hunt your lure down followed my frothing BOOFS!! That's exactly what happened and I boated a lean mean 70cm saltie, complete with arial displays and all in a foot of water! :D
More casts before the water dirtied up saw more jump offs and pulled hooks before I decided to hit the drains switching up to HB's.
Similar story there with a hook up/strike at every drain and eddy. They were on today folks. Lost one lure due to frayed leader earlier and jumped even more off. Sesh lasted 3hrs and all up had about 30 hookups with maybe 6 fish boated, 2 kept for a feed. Good Friday soon. ;)
Top sesh was on the flats picking out fish to cast to, I had goose bumps all over. Hopefully I get a few more tomorrow. Pics included as well as some of the floodplains which I'll be hitting in the run off.
Happy Easter boys and stay safe.

Richie

PS: Lures were Classic just unders in the drains and bozo'z on the flats. 16lb and 30lb leader fished on a Sol 3000 and a Zillion baitcaster. Bear s10 and Loomis GL2 made up the numbers...........for interest sake if you're heading up here.

::) ::)

cobiaman
19-03-2008, 05:20 PM
well done richie, looks a lot better up there than down here mate, keep up the good work

robersl
19-03-2008, 06:21 PM
well done ritchie i get into darwin for my trip on 17 april and looking forward to it kakadu from the 21st to the 25 and bluewater trip 19-20th so leave a few for me thanks

shane

nuggstar
19-03-2008, 06:34 PM
awsome mate top fish

big_steve001
19-03-2008, 07:00 PM
onya rich good to see your getting a few mate. i can see youve started to suss out the areas congrats. also your not missing out on much down here mate onle a few small jacks around atm. keep up the goodwork. cheers steve

woodsy76
19-03-2008, 07:46 PM
lucky bugger very very jealous .woodsy

blue_mako
19-03-2008, 10:20 PM
couple of barra there richy, nice fish mate.

Local_Guy
19-03-2008, 10:27 PM
what happened with the first photo, you didn't look too happy. LOL.

nice writeup and some nice shots there.. best of luck for good friday, but i don't think you'll need it.

Freeeedom
20-03-2008, 05:32 AM
Great report Richie - keep 'em coming. Your making a lot of wind-blown Ausfishers in SE Qld very jealous.
Cheers Freeeedom

Blacksheep
20-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Nice stuff Rich! Mmmmmm fresh Barra, yummy yummy!

Catch ya soon mate.

Shane :)

Murph77
20-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Richie mate, no one cares about barra down here mate - we are only interested in bream, flatties, snaps and the occasional jack when we want to get a bit exotic!!! So how about you just stop all your gloating about the harbour packed with barra - we don't want to hear about it! ;)

Kidding mate, top session and some nice fish. How's life treating ya? Probably see you up there in June.

coraltrout68
21-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Nice to have fishing like that on your doorstep!

I'll be in the NT in just over a week - hope to get a few Barra from Shady Camp and later the Daly.

Cheers

Shane

richieboy
21-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Cheers boys. Thanks for the replies.

SmallUnit: So you are the small minded individual that owned that place. Now I do remember. If it is you that owns that place, thanks for the memories. I sure had a blast pulling every fish from under that pontoon and laughing all the way.
Keep dominating champ. ;) HA HA HA!!!!!
As for the Jacks, they are yours............................somehow the barra make up for it bro. Maybe you wouldn't agree tho, you seem to disagree with most peoples thoughts unless they follow your own. BOOOM!!

Richie

richieboy
21-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh Murph: Yeh mate, life is great up here. Fishing is tops as you can see.
Giving the footy a miss again this year and just getting back into boxing again training the young fella.
Buzz me when you get here and we'll do a blue water run. A bit cool for the barra in June unless we livebait, and that just bores me.

Rich

jackextracter
21-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Nic fish richie looks like some nice country u got there, is there many other species that your thinking of targeting in there or is bara the main one.

ffejsmada
21-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Onya Rich get into em mate.
Have you caught any big Threadies up there yet?
When are you gonna target a black Jewie??

Jeff.

nigelr
21-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Great post Richie, a pleasure to read and great pics as well, thanks for that, very enjoyable.
Cheers.

Matty_M
21-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Well done Richie, gotta luv sight fishin for anything, even better when their chrome flanked Barrra..
Cheers

Pistol_P
21-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Nice Barra Rich..8-)

I saw a video yesterday from a fellow I know up in Darwin on catching Milkfish....:o :o .....Man talk about rockets...........

See if you can nail some...8-)

Pete

ddobson
23-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Well done richie it looks like some good spots to be hitting. I did notice the jacks have turned into barra in all your new photos.lol. Keep the good posts coming.

richieboy
24-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey boys,

Extractor: Plenty of other species mate but yep, the barra are the main ones I'm playing with. Dry season will see em slow down and now is prime time run off season.

Jeff: The threadies are thicker than the barra at times but are the hardest fish to entice with a lure. Flies might be the go I reckon. As for the Jewies OK OK. Next set of neaps I got a few spots so watch this space.

Pete: Milkies up here around the rockwalls at Larrakea. S,all flies apparantlt. Seen a few cruising in Cullen Bay Marina but not allowed to fish in there.

Dave: Cheers mate. You seem to going good with the snaps mate. Keep it up. Drop your leader size for the bigger fish.
As for the Jacks, I couldn't cut the mustard in Brissie so I flew the coop to Darwin with my tail between my legs. Left em to the pro's to slaughter with there 80lb handline and 5/0 hooks. HA HA HA!

Cheers again and next time I'll mix it up with some Jewies......I hope.

Richie ;)

chief
24-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Great stuff richie, I can hear the excitement from here.You'd have to be doing cartwheels in the boat old mate ;D. Had a river sesh with Nick ,a few laughs and a few fish.A little quiet at the moment so look foward to your adventures Cheers Mate.

Poodroo
24-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Well done Richie. Good to see you still putting in a report after your big move. You have been up there for a while now so by now I would have thought the fish stocks may have made some sort of comeback without you here catching them all but it is still a little quiet and the weather ordinary so you are definitely not missing out on much down here.

Poodroo