PDA

View Full Version : First metre+ Barra Fitzroy river

flairj
20-05-2007, 05:22 PM
My luck from two weeks ago fishing on the Fitzroy must have still been there because I thought a 90cm wild fish from the river wash an extremely good fish, so to have bettered it this morning with a 110cm specimen amazed me.

Same spot, same plan, smaller lures had my first threadfin salmon come in after 30 seconds of trolling. We spent longer on taking the photos than we did with a lure in the water. Redeployed the lures and I told the visiting Englishman (first time fishing) he could wind in the next fish. Five minutes later on the second pass the Englishman says in a calm voice "Ooo ai, I think ya got woon". I pulled the rod out of the holder and was going to hand it to him but the fish was like a freight train and was about to spool fifty bucks worth of braid and a fifteen dollar lure, so I made the call that I might have to take this one. I could see the bottom of the spool and only just turned the boat around in time to give chase with the electric motor. The fish stayed deep and dogged the whole battle and only surfaced at the boat after circling it three times and came towards the now even more redundant seeming Bream net.

It tapped out the 30lb bogagrip and eventually went 32lbs on the scale and gave the backpacking Englishman some stories and photos to show of his fish (that I wound in for him)

I'm now looking forward to two weeks when the tides cycle through again to hit the same spot.

Josh

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/flairj/Red1-2.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/flairj/Red2-1.jpg

scottym
20-05-2007, 05:38 PM
WOW! Awsome fish Flairj. You seem to have sorted out the fitzroy fairly quickly. Thats an absolutely awsome barra and a nice salmon too. Good to see that your efforts have paid off.

Scotty

Fisher4life
20-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Mate that is awesome, as scotty said, yuou really have sorted out fishing the fitzroy pretty quick. Top efort!!

childers
20-05-2007, 05:58 PM
YOU THE FITZROY CHAMPION ! well done ,great photos ,thats a trophy barra, unbelieveable ,how good is to live up where you can get a crack at fish like that ,make the most of it ,cheers.

Murph77
20-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Well done mate, a couple of awesome fish. Proves a few of the recent threads about the Rocky area being fished out are full of s**t. Congrats!

For Steve
20-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Bloody hell - that's sensational!

Congratulations. Is that a PB?

flairj
20-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Yup......... that would be a PB. The Barra two weeks ago was the biggest fish I've ever caught and I thought that it was a fluke and that my first metre fish would come from trips to Awoonga.

Also, a question for people from the Rocky area. Are fish like this one and the 90cm one I got two weeks ago the kind of fish that are regularly caught in the Fitzroy or have I got fairly lucky to catch both of these fish? I know it's good for late season, but can I expect these kind of fish with any regularity in season?

Pistol_P
20-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Great fish and great pics to go along with it.

Pete

Synful
20-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Top pair of fish there Josh - I'm envious!

White_Steenbras
21-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Thats a great fish in pristine looking condition, top effort.

Chalkandcheese
21-05-2007, 07:37 PM
bloody beauty mate, doesnt get much better.

tazza_505
22-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Awsome report, fish and pics!!

Creek Vermin
22-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Mate I think anyone anywhere would be happy to nail a couple of fish like that. Are you gonna fish the barra bounty? I might jump on your team!

bay_firey
22-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Yup.........
Also, a question for people from the Rocky area. Are fish like this one and the 90cm one I got two weeks ago the kind of fish that are regularly caught in the Fitzroy or have I got fairly lucky to catch both of these fish? I know it's good for late season, but can I expect these kind of fish with any regularity in season?

Mate you are not gonna fish like that on a regular basis, but they are there as you have proved.

Bloody beauty fish

BR65
22-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Bloody good fish mate

flairj
23-05-2007, 07:12 AM
When and What is the Barra Bounty? Because I love fishing in comps

Creek Vermin
23-05-2007, 05:16 PM
The barra bountys held around sep oct and is C+R. Never been able to fish cause of the flatty classic being so close to it but it's regarded as one of the best comps going round.

Kev_McC
24-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I have not lived here long either but have fished the Fitzroy for a while as a visitor and have found it fairly consistent, particularly October and Autumn. The cool change this week should make the barra fishing a lot less reliable, but hopefully blue and threadfin salmon will take their place.
I had a good run fishing particular sets of tides over a couple of Sept-Octobers, where I fished 16 times and got legal barra on 14 of those trips, plenty of the fish over 80-90cm. Got spooled once. I missed out last October though, very poor.

Sunday was a great day, still and warm, had to decide between chasing barra in the river or mackerel at the coast. Chose mackerel.
cheers
kev