PDA

View Full Version : Eating Values???

Gigantor
11-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Recently while fishing up at Wivenhoe Dam, the Park Ranger suggested that Tilapia were as good to eat as Barra. Personally I've never heard of anyone tucking into these noxious pests.

What's your thoughts? Every eaten them?

el_carpo
11-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Yes, I've eaten tilapia. We don't have them in our lakes, and from reading what you guys are saying, I think that is a good thing. I bought a few from the fish market here a while ago. The flesh is kind of soft and the taste is nothing that spectacular. Very average. I won't buy any more. Maybe, the rangers want fisher-folk to take them home so they get out of the lakes. ;)

The tilapia is a very popular fish to "farm" in ponds in Africa. They were even trying to raise them here in indoor tanks as a source of income and food in low-income areas. They are fast growers I guess and don't require a lot of food or space. I think that was the story anyway.

They aren't too good but in a pinch, they'll do I guess. If they are good enough, that may help other fish populations. Anglers can keep only (or mostly) the tilapia and release the native sport fish.

AaronF
14-06-2004, 07:24 AM
They are sold commercially everywhere in North America at supermarkets. I would presume they are farmed from what I know. I've eaten them a few times and found them pretty good, firm white delicate flesh that flakes nicely. If anything a little bland I presume as they are probably raised in fresh water ponds and don't have that salty taste. The nearest thing I could liken them to is reef fish type of flesh without the salt and a little firmer when cooked. Not bad when you consider the alternatives are over stressed natural stocks of anything over here.

Graham_N_Roberts
14-06-2004, 06:25 PM
I guess the main thing that comes to mind is of course ... what would they be like on the plate, and what about size? Are they worth the effort? Can you get a decent fillet from one, or would they be better cooked whole. ???

There are other freshwater fish, of small size that taste all right, if you can catch them big enough to be worth the effort of cleaning and cooking .... spangled perch and bared grunter come to mind.

So I guess the Tilapia may be worth experimenting with. ::)

Jim_Tait
15-06-2004, 05:50 PM
I've eaten tilapia quite a few times growing up in PNG plus feral ones caught in NQ. I think they are good eating if they come out of reasonable quality water - I've eaten some out of weedy swamps in PNG and they tasted muddy - I've also eaten them out of clear volcanic lakes and they tasted great - in NQ they are better eating than barra caught out of the same impounded waters i.e. Ross River weir pools - the ones I've eaten out of the Ross were big enought to fillet and as one of the earlier posters noted had flaking white flesh with a delicate falvour - as opposed to the weedy and fatty barra out of the same water - a limition that can be reduced by proper fillet preparation - finely sliced and grilled to allow the fat (that is what holds the weedy flavour) to drain out.

Regards - Jim

el_carpo
15-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Jim,

I'm sure that's it. The water quality. The fish I bought came from a fish farm. The farm ponds are always full of silt and algae and it really affects the flavor of the fish. I catch a lot of catfish and they usually taste great. I bought some from the store once (farm raised) and I nearly lost it, it was so bad. It seems to matter what time of year also. I notice the algae is always really strong in the hot days of summer. In the spring and fall, the fish have a much fresher taste to me.

Thanks for the very good post.

JanetofNQ
23-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi all, my husband just advised me that in Queensland the only thing you are allowed to do with tilapia is to kill it and leave it on the bank. It is a very aggressive breeder which pushes out our native fish. As it is a mouth breeder, it may not be transported at all, not even to the local barbecue.

"Tilapia (Tilapia, Oreochromis and Sarotherodon spp) are declared noxious in Queensland. Two species (Oreochromis mossambicus and Tilapia mariae ) have established in Queensland. It is illegal to possess, rear, sell or buy tilapia. It is also an offence to release tilapia into Queensland waterways or to use them as bait, live or dead. Penalties up to $150,000 apply."
- http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/1406.html

Definitely not worth the effort ...

leso
23-06-2004, 04:02 PM
have caught a few in wivenhoe dam, they fight ok, taste better than bass, taste great cooked in my smoker....me thinks the asian community loves them as well and the're pretty good at catching them as well...

cheers leso